When you are buying a new home in Panama City Beach or Bay County, Florida, be sure to get the roof checked out. Roofs are one of the most expensive features of a home. You will want to make sure your new roof is sturdy and see if it needs repair or replacement before you buy. That way, you will have the opportunity to negotiate the repairs and won’t have any surprises later.
While there are some types of roof damage you can see yourself from the ground (such as missing roof shingles or mold), you will want to get a professional inspection and have roof repairs completed before you move in. Your insurance or mortgage company may also require a roof inspection.
Here are some questions a through roof inspection should be able to answer:
- How old is the roof? Mold, curly edges, and bulging or missing shingles are signs that the roof may be old. Ask your real estate agent or the homeowner when the roof was last inspected, last replaced, and what materials it is made from. The older the roof is, the more likely it will need repairs or replacement.
- Does the roof have appropriate ventilation?
- Are there any leaks or breaks?
- Is there mold? Some molds are readily noticeable while others are hard to spot.
- How are the canals and the seepage system? This includes the gutters, downspouts, drainage pipes.
If your new home does need a new roof, we are here to help! We are roofing specialists with over 27 years of experience as a roofing contractor. We have worked with hundreds of satisfied families.